Fransmanshoek Conservancy was established in 1994 and is the oldest conservancy within the Western Cape. It employs a full-time senior ranger and two student rangers. The conservation area of the Conservancy consists of various coastal properties that includes the Springerbaai Eco-estate, the villages of Boggomsbaai and Vleesbaai, the farm Misgunt (home of the Vleesbaai 4x4 Dune Route), the Fransmanshoek peninsula, the village of Kanon and the Cape Vacca Nature Reserve.
The mission of the Conservancy is the conservation, protection and rehabilitation of the 18.5 km stretch of coastline in its conservation area. Its objectives include:
- To conserve, protect and maintain the biodiversity of Conservancy’s fauna and flora.
- To advertise and promote the value and importance of the natural environment to residents and tourists.
- To improve and provide a law enforcement presence in the area.
- To provide environmental education to the local schools, farming community, land owners and visitors to the area.
- To eradicate invasive alien species (flora and fauna) from the area.
- To source funding for the implementation of the objectives of the conservancy.
- To rehabilitate and monitor disturbed and sensitive areas
- To provide visitor facilities and services of an acceptable standard.
- To conserve sites of cultural and/or historical significance within the conservancy.
The Conservancy regularly arrange popular events such as “Doccie on the Dunes” and intertidal days to educate the public on the ecology as well as the organisms found on the rocky shores of intertidal zones. It also issues informative monthly reports on all the activities of the Conservancy. For more information go to https://web.facebook.com/fmhconservancy/.
The Conservancy were awarded the following awards for its outstanding achievements
- 2017: The Cape Fox Gold Award – Best managed conservancy in the Western Cape, for excellence in the field of conservation
- 2012: A Special Award in recognition and appreciation of an outstanding contribution made towards biodiversity conservation in the Gouritz Cluster Biosphere Reserve domain
- 2009: A Special Award in recognition and appreciation of an outstanding contribution made towards biodiversity conservation in the Gouritz Initiative domain